[At-Large] FW: Withdraw the gun database

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon Jan 21 23:38:12 UTC 2013

On 01/21/2013 02:38 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
> I have to say, if I were working for an eastern European crime syndicate,
> and I wanted to make it as hard as possible for ISPs and law enforcement
> to track me down, these are exactly the kind of ridiculous hoops I would
> want to force people to jump through in WHOIS access.

Oooh, aaah, the law enforcement boogyman!

Law enforcement has powers and processes (hopefully judicially
supervised) to penetrate WHOIS without going through any of these
procedures.

So your boogyman is just that, a boogyman.

If Mr. Sheriff wants access he can go to a judge, present evidence of
probable cause, and get a warrant or subpoena.  Or if there are exigent
circumstances then even that step can be bypassed.  And there are
international treaties that create processes for international handling
of these things.

Vigilante "law enforcement" is not law enforcement.

	--karl--