[At-Large] whois, weirds, and slaves

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Jan 20 17:43:44 UTC 2013

> Isn't WHOIS a "standard protocol" itself?

Just barely, see RFC 3912.

The standard says that the client sends a line of stuff, and the server
sends back a blob of stuff that is somehow related to what was on the
client's line of stuff.  If any of the stuff can't be expressed in seven
bit ASCII, too bad.

For gTLDs that have thick WHOIS, the ICANN agreements describe in fair
detail what the queries and responses are supposed to be, although the
details differ from one agreement to another and none of them address
IDNs.  For gTLDs that have thin WHOIS, there's basically no spec, and the
various registrars just make up whatever they want.  I have 3000 line perl
module that handles a lot of this, but far from all of it, and I
constantly have to tweak it as I come across registries with formats that
I haven't seen before.

Regards,