[At-Large] gTLD Review Group decisions regarding the comments by IT for Change, India

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Oct 12 13:12:22 UTC 2012

At 12/10/2012 02:50 AM, parminder wrote:

>Alan,
>
>Thanks for your response.
>
>On Thursday 11 October 2012 08:20 PM, Alan Greenberg wrote:
> > Without commenting on the merits of "private gTLDs", the "exemption"
> > being discussed is not in relation to who may register 2nd level
> > names in the TLD. It is addressing whether the Registry needs to use
> > ICANN accredited Registars to effect registrations.
>
>Is this not the same as, or at least the enabling provision that makes
>for, an open market for 2nd level domain names, or inversely, prevents,
>private or closed gTLDs?
>
>I took this section from the letter written to ICANN by some people from
>the domain names industry, and I guessed that these people would knew
>what they are talking about. They claim that private or closed gTLDs are
>enabled because of this clause. Are they wrong? Pl see
>http://www.circleid.com/posts/20120925_letter_to_icann_brands_proposed_usage_generic_domain_extensions/

We have a nomenclature problem here. From the point of view a
registrar, a TLD which no accredited registrar is allowed to sell is
a closed domain. However, as John Levine pointed out, most of the
.brand or other "private" domains from the registrant's point of
view, WILL go through accredited registrars, and thus be "open" from
the registrar point of view.

The concept of having to use ICANN accredited registrars goes back to
the original GNSO Policy document
(http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/new-gtlds/pdp-dec05-fr-parta-08aug07.htm)
Recommendation 19. The exemption we are talking about is a very
reasonable one not dissimilar to the one granted .museum, for cases
where there is really no added value for a registrar to be inserted
into an agreement between the registry and itself (ie the user).

Regarding domains which are not available for the general registrant,
that concept goes back to the earliest days of the Internet and the
Domain Name System, .gov, .int and .edu have always had (and still
have) very restrictive rules about who can register 2nd level names.
For all intents and purposes, .gov was the first ".brand" TLD - for
the exclusive use of a rather large "company" - the US government.

And as was pointed out, museum and jobs and name are all pretty
generic words, so again there is precedent.

None of that says that this is the way that ICANN should have gone or
perhaps will still change. But one cannot claim that it has been
inconsistent or invented new paradigms here.

>It is of course possible that they are wrong, and we should check things
>for ourselves. However, the copy of applicant's guidelines that I am
>able to download does not seem to have this quoted section which the
>letter claims is the  Section 6 of Specification 1 ("Registry Operator
>Code of Conduct") in Module 5 ("Base New gTLD Agreement") of the
>Applicant Guidebook. Some help in this matter, to be guided to the right
>document, will be highly appreciated.
>
>More generally, I would request you, or anyone else who have followed
>this process closely to guide me to those part of gltds policy documents
>that enable private gTLDs. As you know, I think that the idea of generic
>word private gTLDs is fundamentally wrong and should be abandoned,
>whether or not it means going back on the current policies or
>implementation activity. Meanwhile, at a secondary level, I am happy to
>search for possible technical loopholes in the existing policy that can
>help us guide ICANN on how it can reject applications for generic word
>private gTLDs within the existing policies. My email below tried to make
>one such attempt, but if you think the one I am tilting at is not the
>actual enabling clause for such private gTLDs then please do guide me to
>the right clauses that enable private generic name gTLDs, so that I can
>try to pick possible holes in it.
>

> >   Essentially, it
> > is saying you must use an ICANN accredited Registrar unless all
> > registrations are solely for the use of the Registry or its affiliates.
>
>The section that I quoted also says something beyond this - it says that
>the exception must specifically be justified as not harming pubic
>interest. This is where our opportunity lies.

The public interest is a basic tenet of ICANN, and should (in my
mind) always be a condition of anything it does. If I remember
correctly (and perhaps I do not) the Board in fact gave themselves
the right to refuse to delegate a TLD if it was counter to the public
interest. However, this then comes down to whose definition of Public
Interest is to be used. There is no definitive definition and
certainly not one linked to ICANN. We all know of countries around
the world that do things that their leaders and governments believe
to be in the public interest and many of us disagree vehemently. In
fact, it is hard to find a country (including my own) where some
people do not think that is the case for their homeland. And as Evan
has pointed out, some people think that private domains are in the
public interest.

Alan