[At-Large] [technical-issues] Verisign files a patent on domain transfers

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 22:17:12 UTC 2012

It would appear from what Alexander analysed is the "non-functionality"
aspect, and prior  art on other aspects.

See:
"What Verisign actually proposes is essentially the same process described
in the IETF draft, but with one step omitted.
The problem with Verisign "invention" is that after we change the NS
records (step S1060) and some resolver have an old RRSIG in it's cache and
the
DNSKEY is already expired from the cache, what will happen is that the
recursive resolver will query the new authoritative servers for the DNSKEY
records and will get the new DNSKEY RRset without the old ZSK (that is the
invention). What we end up with is an RRSIG signed with the old DNSKEY, and
the new DNSKEY RRset (which have no old DNSKEY - that is the
invention). *Recursive
resolver will not be able to validate the RSSIG, and DNSSEC *
*validation will fail. *The domain will not validate and therefore it will
not be accessible.
The same story repeats itself for a case where only the DNS hosting
provider is switched (and not the registrar) - paragraphs [0070]..[0075],
adding
another mistake at [0075] c. - Verisign suggests to change the nameservers
and then immediately "Remove losing hosting provider DS record".* But what
if *
*some recursive resolver have RRSIG and DNSKEY in it's cache, while the DS
record is already expired ? - The resolver will receive the new DS only and
the *
*domain will fail to validate again."*
*
*