[At-Large] [New gTLD RG] [ALAC] gTLD Review Group decisions regarding the comments on objection grounds on the ".book" application by Amazon EU s.a.r.l

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 17:11:01 UTC 2012

Hi Sala:
What was agreed was explicit recognition of copyright and all that flows
from that.  Content that is still under copyright and digitized by Google
for their platform may not only be accessed [for fee!] thru Google Play but
in making a copy available to the original publisher[s], also via channels
determined by the original publisher[s].

Now if I were these companies and speaking to your connecting the dots to
.book, I would've sought and signed a contingent agreement. For I could see
a McGraw-Hill or Pearson getting into bed with Google for a .book domain
name as part of this settlement. Say to Google "yeah, keep that copy and
sell it for me.  And do make sure to remit my [x] portion of the revenue.
I have another idea on bundling so I will put all my digital properties
directly to consumers with great trust and confidence in MGH.book domain
you are so kind to provide. There's a good lad".

Not a bad deal either; Google does the grunt work to format and prep the
digital document, they get a copy and via this copy can develop another
business model that [add some value +] directly compete with Google Play.
Room to innovate on top of the innovator!  Not a bad end of play to 7 years
worth of work, come to think.....

- Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799