[At-Large] [technical-issues] Verisign files a patent on domain transfers

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight michele at blacknight.ie
Mon Oct 8 07:52:44 UTC 2012

I saw that over the weekend and my heart sank.

As a registrar I raised this issue with Dr Crocker a couple of years ago and it was pretty clear to me at the time that the entire transfer thing hadn't really been thought about.
However transfers are pretty "key" to domains.. People do it all the time - be that a simple change of nameservers, hosting provider or registrar..

To think that someone would actually slap a patent on something like this is truly depressing (ok, maybe I need more coffee).

Regards

Michele
--
Mr Michele Neylon