[At-Large] ICANN News Alert -- Update on Registrar Accreditation Agreement Amendments

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Sep 26 19:39:36 UTC 2012

> In some instances (i.e. whoever wants to fake their info) email and
> telephone verification will be valid just up to the moment the domain gets
> registered. Both email and telephone can be made bogus after that.

Well, sure, anyone who is sufficiently devious can use throwaway email
addresses and phone numbers.  But I can tell you from experience that the
number of people who do that are an insignificant fraction of the people
who deliberately or through sloppiness put in bogus info.

> What about using a third party certifier before being able to register a
> domain? Kind of a global domain passport? Is this something that can be
> considered?

It would be fine to allow registrars to outsource the verification if
they don't want to do it themselves, but the last thing we need is another
place where people can point fingers.

R's,
John

PS: I don't believe Stuart's $7 unless he's doing something silly like
using live people to make verification calls.