[At-Large] Fwd: ICANN News Alert -- Update on Registrar Accreditation Agreement Amendments

Bill Silverstein icann-list at sorehands.com
Wed Sep 26 04:15:43 UTC 2012

There is another way to do verification.  Have the reports/complaints of
invalid information taken seriously.

ICANN is known for not taking action.
http://www.icann.org/correspondence/touton-letter-to-beckwith-03sep02.htm

For years after this letter, the whois information was still garbage.

When I contact registrars about invalid information, they don't really do
anything. They send a notice to the registrant, then give them time to
respond.

What registrars should do is require valid information, and verification
within 5 days. If the information is accidentally not valid, then suspend
the domain until the information is valid and confirmed. If intentionally
invalid (ie. no street, or phone number 555-555-1212, then immediate
termination or suspension until a $200 penalty is paid.