[At-Large] [ALAC] ICANN Launches Accountability Structures Expert Panel, Seeks Community Input

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Sep 18 17:09:48 UTC 2012

Personally, I am amazed that ICANN feels the need to go "external" when it
has such a massive pool of diverse, experienced expertise within its
community.

Historically, the use by ICANN of outside "expertise" has appeared to me to
be an indication that the organization does not trust its own community
perform such an evaluation. It's more evidence that ICANN as a body fears
its volunteers rather than exploits their perspectives. I am much more in
favour of having outside resources available to a community review, than to
put leadership of this effort in the hands of people without diverse
backgrounds or experience in ICANN culture.

- Evan