[At-Large] #DNS Filtering - Serious Technical Concerns # Implications for the end user

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 07:11:13 UTC 2012

Dear All,

I was thinking of global end users who come from all across the world. The
protection of Intellectual Property is important and there are mechanisms
that exist to protect IP. The challenge is in the area of determining how
far to go to pursue this objective. It is the right of those holding
intellectual property to protect their mark but in my view, not at the
expense of other rights. In a separate thread in the past, I had shared
case law from the European Court of Justice where they ECJ have been known
to uphold "freedom of expression" or to protect innocent content from being
filtered aside from privacy angles.

However, in light of the ongoing discussions on Intellectual Property and
Free Trade, I also recognise that States have the sovereign right to engage
with whom they please and the manner in which they wish to do so. This is
their prerogative, I also recognise that States ultimately will look out
for their own interests, after all that is what they are expected to do.

We live in a world which continues to grow in interconnectedness and the
Internet has brought the global community together in a manner that is
unprecedented. As nations gear towards strengthening their positions
whether it is cyber security based or the protection of intellectual
property, one thing is clear and remains certain, we have to prepare for
the "forced" changes that will come with pursuing certain ambitions. To
this end, whilst PIPA was put to bed, the philosophy behind it is not dead.

I thought that this would be a good time to discuss the potential
ramifications of DNS filtering and how this affects the Internet and the
ordinary end user. Circle ID on May 26, 2011 had published a paper which
was submitted to US Congress by Experts on the danger of DNS filtering,
see:
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20110525_experts_urge_congress_to_reject_proposed_dns_filtering_protect_ip/

One of those Experts was none other than current ICANN Chair.

--
Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala
P.O. Box 17862

Twitter: @SalanietaT