[At-Large] They're out of IPv4 Addresses!

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 07:46:24 UTC 2012

Source:
http://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/news/ripe-ncc-begins-to-allocate-ipv4-address-space-from-the-last-8RIPE
NCC Begins to Allocate IPv4 Address Space From the Last /8

On Friday 14 September, 2012, the RIPE NCC, the Regional Internet Registry
(RIR) for Europe, the Middle East and parts of Central Asia, distributed
the last blocks of IPv4 address space from the available pool.

This means that we are now distributing IPv4 address space to Local
Internet Registries (LIRs) from the last
/8<http://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/ipv4-exhaustion>
according
tosection 5.6 of "IPv4 Address Allocation and Assignment Policies for the
RIPE NCC Service Region <http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv4-policies>".

This section states that an LIR may receive one /22 allocation (1,024 IPv4
addresses), even if they can justify a larger allocation. This /22
allocation will only be made to LIRs if they have already received an IPv6
allocation from an upstream LIR or the RIPE NCC. No new IPv4 Provider
Independent (PI) space will be assigned.

It is now imperative that all stakeholders deploy IPv6 on their networks to
ensure the continuity of their online operations and the future growth of
the Internet.

To see the Impact of RIPENCC reaching the last /8, see:
http://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/ipv4-exhaustion/faq