[At-Large] gTLD Review Group decisions regarding the comments on objection grounds on the ".book" application by Amazon EU s.a.r.l

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 16:45:57 UTC 2012

Evan:
Although with this defense of so-called private TLDs it seems like a
channeling of Groucho Marx take on private clubs - "I don't care to belong
to a club that accepts people like me as members." - I share your
perspective, although from a slightly different direction.

I shall forever oppose any form of content judgment and attempts at
censorship, a priori or otherwise.  But I think it would be an egregious
case of mission creep if ICANN begins to plumb business models as part of
its remit.

The argument that private TLDs restrict consumer choice is not and cannot
be sustained on fact.

- Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799