[At-Large] Briefing Document: Second-Level Protections in New gTLDs

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sun Jun 24 08:15:15 UTC 2012

During its 12 April meeting
http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/resolutions-new-gtld-10apr12-en.htm,
the Board passed a motion that included:

>Resolved (2012.04.10.NG2), while the New gTLD
>Program Committee is not directing any changes
>to the Applicant Guidebook to address defensive
>gTLD applications at this time, the New gTLD
>Program Committee directs staff to provide a
>briefing paper on the topic of defensive
>registrations at the second level and requests
>the GNSO to consider whether additional work on
>defensive registrations at the second level should be undertaken;

The briefing paper has now been released and is
attached. The GNSO has not yet addressed this.

I note that this initiative overlaps very
significantly with the current GNSO Drafting Team
focusing on special protections for International
Red Cross  and Olympics, and the Possible PDP on
protections for Inter-governmental Organizations
(See draft Issue Paper -
http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/prelim-protection-io-names-04jun12-en.htm).
There is the possibility for up to three parallel
efforts utilizing significant volunteer and staff
resources and at worst could go in three different directions.

Alan