[At-Large] [WHOIS-WG] Fwd: WHOIS Policy Review Team Final Report

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu May 17 07:19:38 UTC 2012

Somehow I expected this reply.

First many people do require registration to get a place that allows them to speak.

Second, even when a site is provided for others, keeping that site up requires protection from repressive regimes.

Third, who are you to determine what people need?

Fourth, I expect you will tell me next that people can use Google Facebook etc. Other than not wishing to become a shill for google et al; one can't count on those services for privacy; when they want the business of a regime they will give all the information the regime asks for. Often the only option is one's own registration and hosting service in a third country.

You claim to speak for the world's users, but you do so from the safety of a relatively . please don't assume that the conditions that prevail for you have any relation to the rest of the world.

I know registrants are not the only users, but they are indeed users. Don't sacrifice them on the altar of rich comfortable country consumerism.

avri