[At-Large] [IDN-WG] ALAC Response to the VIP Proposed Project Plan and Next Steps

Hong Xue hongxueipr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 06:14:59 UTC 2012

 *They made one
> point of clarification regarding the treatment of communities who consider
> themselves ready to implement IDN Variants - that it would only happen
> after the label generation toolset work is done.   In their project plan
> this can only begin mid of FY13. *

If a community is already ready on technology, policy and management,
why people in that community have to wait until mid 2013 to implement
IDN variant TLDs? This conclude would actually exclude some
variant-related IDN TLD applications from the first-round new gTLD
program. Among six scripts under VIP study and project plan, Chinese
community that is most ready on IDN variants would be most affected.
If this is the truth, it should be revealed. At the end of the day, it
is the ordinary Chinese-script users who suffer most from these
arbitrary decisions. I assume at-large has the responsibility to
truthfully reflect users' view. Actually, Chinese community is not
asking for any favorite treatment, instead, they are against exclusive
and discriminative treatment.

BTW, variant issues are unique to Chinese scripts, not relevant to
Japanese or Korean. So CJK cannot be bundled on variants.

Hong

--
Dr. Hong Xue
Professor of Law