[At-Large] RES: Proposed ALAC statement on reserved names for the IOC and Red Cross

Vanda UOL vanda at uol.com.br
Mon Mar 5 17:15:23 UTC 2012

Olivier + 1

-----Mensagem original-----
De: at-large-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org
[mailto:at-large-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org] Em nome de Olivier MJ
Crepin-Leblond
Enviada em: domingo, 4 de março de 2012 20:57
Para: At-Large Worldwide
Assunto: Re: [At-Large] Proposed ALAC statement on reserved names for the
IOC and Red Cross

On 04/03/2012 23:51, Avri Doria wrote :
> However, if the issue of protected names and 'Strings Ineligible for
Delegation' (the category created by BoardStaff for this round) is ever
opened up to discussion and to policy process at a later time, then I
beleive the special status given any name other than "example", should be
reviewed as part of that exercise.  For this round, the issue of reserved
names was discussed as part of the New gTLD PDP and in my opinion any
changes would require another PDP.

There are times at ICANN where I feel I am living a continuous "ground-hog
day".

A considerable amount of time and hard work has been devoted to discussing
the concept of a Global Protected Marks List (GPML). By "considerable", I
mean tens of thousands of man-hours, through the IRT, but also the STI-WG,
plus countless formal and informal meetings.
Bottom line: it would be extremely unwise to extend TM rights to entities
beyond the rights they have been granted by WIPO. ICANN should
*not* be in the business of choosing what's protected and what's not.

Hence my own personal reservations about the wisdom (or lack thereof) of
having the section "Strings Ineligible for Delegation", because it re-opens
a Pandora's box which I was glad to see behind us.

Kind regards,

Olivier