[At-Large] [ALAC-Internal] GNSO Council Motion on Cross-Community Working Groups

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 17:15:46 UTC 2012

Here's the key recital with my emphases:

"Whereas, the GNSO Council desires to develop a GNSO agreed perspective
with regard to the role, function and method of conducting joint activities
for future projects that respects and preserves the recognized roles and
responsibilities assigned to each SO/AC under the ICANN Bylaws;

Read my comments.  Then read yours.  You will quickly see we say the exact
same thing, including covering all your 'it does not says'!  I just got to
the weeds by a different path. So here's it plain.

I confess ignorance of the extant GNSO 'house rules'. But from casual
observation of what goes on and from second hand information, it suggests
that a vocal minority from certain 'houses' could derail even the
publication of a majority view. I'm against that.

I take the classic definition of 'principles'.  But I know from experience
that sometimes principles actually subscribe to processes that enable their
expression. And the processes themselves could be troublesome.

This is where my caution comes in: we can agree on a principle but how it
plays out is another matter.  In this case, I am for unfettered
communications and our ability to act, in our judgment, unilaterally to
preserve the at-large's interest.

- Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799