[At-Large] [ALAC-Internal] GNSO Council Motion on Cross-Community Working Groups

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jan 19 17:05:37 UTC 2012

On 19 January 2012 10:56, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> > Fourth, if the presumptive At-Large position varies widely from the GNSO
> > then the utility of a CWG is severely limited so we should recognize such
> > an eventuality and act accordingly.
> >

> I am not so sure about this.  Even if the two SOAC entities disagree, on
> some point or points, the exercise is still valuable as the points of
> disagreement can be discussed ad nauseum and documented in a final report.
>  Then each of the entities can go forth with the document doing as they see
> fit.

We have a template of that kind of outcome, in a sense, in what happened in
the Vertical Integration WG. While not IIRC a full CCWG it did have
significant At-Large participation.

To the extent that the VI WG could not agree, it reported as much and laid
the issues out for the Board to judge --  as the Board ultimately did.

IMO, having a VI-type split within ICANN's communities on a different issue
would not invalidate the purpose of bringing them togerher on that issue.
Consensus is always desirable, but its absence can't be interpreted as a
direction not to act. If nothing more is done in such circumstances than to
bring clarity to the points of divergence, that is itself quite useful to a
final arbiter. Then again, there could be agreement on sub-issues and maybe
even a partial closing of the gap. We'll never know until we try, but the
proposed GNSO guidelines would prevent that kind of thing from even
starting.

- Evan