[At-Large] Notice of Motion: update to ALAC advice on gTLDs

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Dec 21 16:35:30 UTC 2011

>> No, I'd rather do arithmetic on verifiable facts.  I also have to wonder
>> about .ASIA's long term viability.  If they have under 200K domains, since
>> their registry fee is $10, their annual revenue is under $2M.  They
>> probably pay half of that to Afilias to manage the registry, and you can't
>> pay much of a staff on under $1M/yr.
>
> Depends on how many staff you actually need ..
>
> If Afilias is handling all the technical stuff and the customer support,
> then why would DotAsia need loads of staff?

It's everything that allegedly makes .ASIA different from a purely generic
TLD like .INFO.  As a specific example, who if anyone does compliance to
check that registrants in .ASIA meet the registration requirements?

> Several of the registries have very small head counts

Yes, we all know about .MUSEUM and .COOP, but I wouldn't hold them up as
great examples.  As I blogged a while ago, I was surprised to discover
that I am .COOP's compliance department.

R's,
John