[At-Large] Notice of Motion: update to ALAC advice on gTLDs

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Dec 20 21:37:17 UTC 2011

> While geographic rather than generic, I find Edmon Chung's current
> presentation about the benefits of .asia quite convincing.

There are about four billion people in Asia.  There are about 195,000
domains in .ASIA.  Perhaps the .005% of people in Asia who have registered
a domain (actually less than that, once you account for multiple
registrations and parking) think it's swell, but for the other 99.995%,
it's utterly irrelevant.

By comparison, there are over a million names in .JP and over 3 million in
.CN.  There's over 200,000 in .HK, more than in all of .ASIA.

Regards,