[At-Large] US v John Doe 1 & Others [Defendants]

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Nov 26 22:41:16 UTC 2011

> The jurisdictional issue is fascinating, but it's also worth asking why
> RIPE had to be ordered to work with ISC and the multinational law
> enforcement effort aimed at shutting this down.

Nothing mysterious there -- some of the crooks' DNS servers were located
in RIPE allocated space in the Ukraine.

If you're asking why they were ordered rather than requested, I think
you'll find that RIPE is (not unreasonably) reluctant to mess with
allocations absent a legal requirement to do so.

R's,
John