[At-Large] US v John Doe 1 & Others [Defendants]

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Nov 26 22:39:20 UTC 2011

> I have, but you miss two points.
>
> First, regardless of what RIPE says, the U.S. court order is clear on its face that it
> attempts to be binding on all RIRs (as well as others).  I quoted the relevant portions of
> the U.S. order, your statement about what the U.S. court is attempting to do is wrong.

Actually, it says the RIRs on which the order was served.  Was this order
served directly on RIPE?  If so, how?  There are treaties about this kind
of stuff, it's not as straightforward as you might think.

> Second, the Dutch police did not suddenly decide to act in a vacuum.  The Dutch police
> received the Order from the U.S. court, then ordered RIPE-NCC to comply with the U.S.
> court's order.

Yes, I know some of the people involved.  Is it your opinion that there is
something unusual or improper about governments cooperating in a criminal
investigation?

R's,
John