[At-Large] US v John Doe 1 & Others [Defendants]

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 19:20:01 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 8:06 AM, John R. Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

> > In this instance (my views as an individual and not representing anyone's
> > views in this instance), the US has every right to. This is the *locus*:
> > IANA delegates to RIRs and because IANA is based in the US, it is subject
> > to US laws for all its intents and purposes.
>
> I don't think you'll get a lot of sympathy for that theory.

 No worries, not looking for sympathy. It was mere  analysis on my part.

>  I have bought books from amazon.co.uk.  Does that mean I'm subject to UK
> law?

This is an excellent example that you have raised. Books in this instance
is property and is capable of being purchased (when this happens the legal,
equitable, proprietary interests) are transferred with it making it the
purchaser's possession. This enables the purchaser, in this instance you to
freely move in and out of countries with your newly acquired books unless
you move into a country where possession of those books can be seen as a
violation eg. taking a copy of the Satanic Verses and having it found on
you in certain States etc. If the book that was sold to you on amazon.co.uk was
a stolen book (highly unlikely) then UK laws would apply to you, at least
when it comes to  you stepping foot on UK soil or territories etc :)

In this instance, are "IP addresses property"? When IANA assigns numbers to
the RIRs, does it become the RIR's property devoid of IANA's future
involvement?

> > However, the issue and the question is should regulation be done at the
> ISP
> > level or the RIR level?
>
> Several of the ISPs appear to be in the Ukraine and are controlled by the
> criminals.  You need both.

What is definitely interesting is what the boundaries are?