[At-Large] Issue Report on Thick Whois

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at iks-jena.de
Fri Nov 25 10:35:29 UTC 2011

* Alan Greenberg wrote:
> The question here is whether specific registries should move from
> thin whois (as currently defined) to thick whois (as currently
> defined). The content is effectively the same regardless of the
> outcome, and it is all publicly available.

Thank you for pointing the discussion back.

I do prefer thin WHOIS, because every party has to provide the information
which can be verified by the party itself and for which the party is liable
directly (they simply has to know their contrators/customers/resellers).

So thin WHOIS make the chain of responsiblity visible without preventing
access to information (despite local law might oppose).

Thick WHOIS is the model to hide the chain of responsiblity by copying
personal data (of a third party) outsite of the jurisdiction of the contract
parties.