[At-Large] Issue Report on Thick Whois

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Nov 23 16:12:41 UTC 2011

> Thick Whois is required for all new gTLDs. Has At-Large/ALAC ever put
> in a recommendation that ICANN specify Thin Whois instead for all new gTLDs?

No, since that's about the most egregiously anti-consumer pro-crime
recomnmendation it could make.  It would also make it clear that the ALAC
is stuck in about 1996.

For every vanity domain holder who's worried that he will get more spam,
there are hundreds or thousands of domains used by criminals.  If we
believe we have responsibility to the vast majority of Internet users who
use domains and will never register one, the more accountability for
domain holders, the better.

Regards,