[At-Large] Issue Report on Thick Whois

Antony Van Couvering avc at avc.vc
Wed Nov 23 05:08:15 UTC 2011

Thin Whois is an historical abomination - it was slipped through by Network Solutions as a way to keep all the customer data for themselves when their monopoly was broken up.

It is bad for legitimate searchers, because registrars may or may not be findable or helpful

It is bad for privacy, because registrars are less secure -- plus I'm sure some of them have been mining their own whois data and either using it themselves or spamming.

It's very bad for registrants (assuming anyone in ALAC cares) because in a business failure, your records of what you own, in what name, etc., are all gone.

Whatever your policy position, a thick Whois is better because then policy can be applied to it.

Antony