[At-Large] Issue Report on Thick Whois

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Nov 23 03:19:37 UTC 2011

On 22 November 2011 20:57, Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> wrote:

> That "us" is almost exclusively registrants, a set of vested interests
>
> That's a rather pejorative way to dismiss the privacy concerns of
> over 100,000,000 registrants.

It's your choice to be insulted. The description is appropriate, even if it
makes one uncomfortable.
BTW, is that count of 100M registrants.... or registrations?

 Maybe you should ask people whether they are willing to have their - or

> their family's - names, addresses, phone numbers, affiliations, and
> business relationships put into a worldwide database?

This is WHOIS. All we're talking about is contact info for a domain.
Not relationships.
Not affiliations.
Not blood types.
Let's not over-dramatize.

> Do you have children?  Have you ever considered that parents might
> consider the Whois to be a Megan's Law List in reverse - in which ICANN
> requires parents to publish publish the names and addresses of
> prospective victims to predators?

I invoke Godwin's Law By Proxy.

This is now the third time in an ICANN setting in which I've heard "if you
don't agree with my PoV you must be a supporter of pedophilia", and it's
become extremely tiresome.

- Evan