[At-Large] Issue Report on Thick Whois

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Nov 22 17:10:00 UTC 2011

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
Em: evan at telly dot org
Sk: evanleibovitch
Tw: el56

On 22 November 2011 11:52, Patrick Vande Walle <patrick at vande-walle.eu>wrote:

> At USD 15 a year, anyone can buy domain names, even individuals. You
> can even get email hosting and a  blog included at that price. Hence,
> there are no reason why the At-Large should not care about these
> individual Internet users.

The distinction is one of function, not price.

The proportion of the Internet-using public that owns a domain is extremely
small. You do not need to own a domain to participate on the Internet, to
create or to consume.

> If there was a ICANN constituency or AC representing the interests
> of individual domain names registrants,  I would be most interested to
> know which one.

The Non-Commercial User Constituency (of GNSO)  welcomes individual members
and has an explicit mandate to represent registrants. You've been around
ICANN long enough that I'm surprised you were not aware of this.

- Evan