[At-Large] Issue Report on Thick Whois

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at iks-jena.de
Tue Nov 22 08:25:10 UTC 2011

In iks.lists.icann.at-large, you wrote:
> I have not yet reviewed the document in sufficient depth to say
> whether I feel that it is complete, but on an initial review, it
> looks fine. My personal belief is that the ALAC should strongly
> support the initiation of a PDP on this issue.

I'd strongly suggest to move to thin WHOIS approaches whererver possible.
Thick WHOIS services requires privacy violations as well as violations of
various local laws by transfering personal data outside of the jursidiction
of the domain name holder.

ICANN already started a thin WHOIS services by introducing whois.iana.org.
In the thin WHOIS approach each WHOIS server only reports the necessary data
in the associated registry (i.e. DS entries as well as Glue for NS, AAAA, A)
and information about the contract on which the data was inserted or modified.
Because the contract information contains a referal to the next WHOIS
server, the chain of responsibility can be followed easily.

Sorry, thick WHOIS is a thick mistake (especially for an "end user"
stakeholder like AtLarge).

PS: Please forgive me to not using the terminology from SAC051.