[At-Large] BBC News: .wales and .cymru internet domain names find support

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon Nov 14 18:54:18 UTC 2011

On 11/14/2011 09:08 AM, Michele Neylon :: Blacknight wrote:

> Does California have a unique cultural and / or linguistic identity?

Yes.  In 1510 California was described thus:

> Know, that on the right hand of the Indies there is an island called
> California very close to the side of the Terrestrial Paradise; and it
> is peopled by black women, without any man among them, for they live
> in the manner of Amazons.

With minor adjustments - for instance we have men these days - that
certainly defines California.

BTW, I find the "unique cultural and/or linquistic identity" to be a
rather contrived, and arguably self-serving, formula.  There is probably
at least as much social gluten among those who play World of Warcraft -
a group that definitely has their own language and culture - as there is
among the residents of the area once called Aquitaine.

	--karl--