[At-Large] BBC News: .wales and .cymru internet domain names find support

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Nov 10 21:04:55 UTC 2011

Interesting part of the article:

"Costs

Nominet suggests one solution would be for the both name to be
registered. Website addresses ending in either suffix could then
direct users to the same place.

However, ICANN is charging $185,000 (£116,045) per application and is
refusing to let Wales be a special case.

The Welsh business minister, Edwina Hart, said last week that she is
not considering paying for either application."

Minister Hart is a member of the National Assembly for Wales, not for
UK parliamentary seat, not an MP and not a minister in David Cameron's
government, not with a voice in the GAC, but she through the National
Assembly for Wales has some powers to make policy for Wales...
confused? I know I am! Perhaps all become clear when the applications
process opens.

Adam