[At-Large] Depository (was Re: Privacy and domain abuse vs the IP constituency)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue May 10 02:24:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 11:49 PM, Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> wrote:

>> Indeed.  There's a reason each county only has one deed registry, you
>> know.
>
> Right - which argues that there should be exactly one worldwide registry
> of IP address titles, not five, not fifty.

not exactly "titles", but what you seek is here:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xml

> There is no reason why the tasks of allocation of new IP address blocks,
> the brokerage of used blocks, and the keeping of the big book of block
> ownership need to be locked together.

There is no reason IMHO to have "brokerage" at all.

I think the reason to have allocation and assignment (not ownership,
pls!) info together is for simplicity.  John (downthread) is
complaining about having five Dbs to search.

BTW the -a flag will search all mirrored Dbs (not just the RIRs)

whois -a -h whois.rirname.net 1.2.3.4

for example.

> It is easy to conceive of things like the RIRs doing allocations and
> sending reports of their grants to the singular recorder of titles.
> Same for the brokers.
>
> It would be entirely consistent with ICANN's role to establish that kind
> of IP address title registry.

Would this not be the IANA?

--
Cheers,