[At-Large] Depository (was Re: Privacy and domain abuse vs the IP constituency)

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon May 9 17:51:28 UTC 2011

Hi,

First one can argue the point of whether de-aggregation is bad.  Certainly from the point of view of the legacy routing architecture and its FIBs, it is an unfortunate reality though not any worse then adding on a whole new routing FIB for IPv6. However, in an age when the network has flattened considerable with everyone wanting to peer with everyone with anyone who is anyone, I have long felt that the future generation of Routing protocols must be able to take this realty into effect and deal with the problem of a non-aggregated address space.

As for the problem of assigning Independent IP address ranges, even if routing aggregation were still the driving force, once could divide between the authority that granted the allocation, some higher authority yet to be determined,  and those responsible for fulfilling it  - the RIRs.  In other words the RIRs would worry about making sure that aggregations standards where met, the technical nitty gritty, while someone else determined the policy of who should and who shouldn't get an allocations.  This of course would keep RIRs from becoming the absolute masters of the IPv6 address space, but that might be a good thing.

a.