[At-Large] Privacy and domain abuse vs the IP constituency

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Mon May 9 06:03:06 UTC 2011

On 09 May 2011, at 02:31, John R. Levine wrote:

> For Internet stuff, they are constantly working in tandem with non-LE
> people in industry and academia.

This is by no means new, or Internet-specific. LEAs have always relied on ordinary people to provide them information in order to identify and locate criminals.
I am fine with that. What I do not want is that domain name suspensions happen outside the LEA framework.

> I think we all agree that natural people have privacy rights.  But about
> 99% of domains are not registered by natural people, which makes it
> obvious that the right way to hande the ones that are registered by
> natural people is as exception cases.

I think it is also safe to say that 99% of the people do not use the WHOIS databases. Maybe we could treat the one percent of those having a need for the WHOIS as an exception.
This is, in essence, what Telnic has done for the .tel WHOIS : allow access  to clearly identified individuals and entities.

Patrick Vande Walle