[At-Large] Depository (was Re: Privacy and domain abuse vs the IP constituency)

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun May 8 17:32:08 UTC 2011

>> My view, having followed this on the ARIN-PPML list from its
>> inception, is that the substance of this "proposal" is not in the
>> public interest...
>
> I thought that the internet was a place that encouraged innovation and
> experimentation.

Depository's business model appears to be to set themselves up as a toll
booth on the information highway.  I agree that we don't need five RIRs,
but the last thing we need is a freelance RIR competing with the existing
ones, thereby ensuring that the IP registration data will be even patchier
and less accurate than it is now.

Regards,