[At-Large] ICANN financials

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 16:31:30 UTC 2011

> I can`t more agree with you Jorge. But, if it is true that the creation of New gTLDs is not enough to fulfill the goal to increase the namespace competition, at least give us (consumers and  applicants candidates) in the posibility to participate in an almost monopoly market managed by the Big company and their " associated ", and also give us  the posibility to change the situation. One of the liminar principles of ICANN is the competition & the consumer choice, in this order I consider the structure of ICANN need some improvements to guarantee that.

One of the problems with the new gTLD program, if you don't look at
the retail side of the biz, is that you will be creating additional
small monopolies under control of a single entity each, which to be
frank as far as we know from some of the players, they will be the
same companies that currently run a TLD or are aspiring to run a
collection of them, directly or indirectly.

Real competition has to start at the top level, splitting for example
the most dominant names, which as we know is a no deal thanks to
previous negotiations that granted a single company the rights to do
so to perpetually, then what we intent to do is to artificially expand
the name space but by doing so you are not increasing competition, you
are just increasing user's choice, which again was not one of the
original goals even at the creation of ICANN.

Unfortunately ICANN became the OPEC of the Internet name space (we'll
leave the numbers out by now).

Another .02
Jorge