[At-Large] ICANN financials

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Apr 13 23:05:15 UTC 2011

On 04/13/2011 03:39 PM, Joly MacFie wrote:

> For fiscal 2010, ICANN's revenues from its core operations were reported at
> $65.77 million, an increase from the the $60.23 million reported for fiscal
> 2009. ICANN was able to grow revenues from Internet Registries to $31.91
> million up from $24.54 million in 2009.

When I was on the board the projected estimate of the highest budget
that ICANN could ever reach, ever was $9million(US), and that was to be
a transient high with the ongoing rate being significantly lower.

The difference between that projection - $9million - and the actual -
$66million - is on the order of 733%.  Evening considering inflation
over the last 8 years, that is a rate of growth - mission creep, job
expansion - that is not only amazing but highly suggestive of a
regulatory body that is suffering cancerous growth and terribly out of
control.

And we ought not to forget that even these numbers represent a mere
shadow of the dollar amounts that come from the ungrounded, fiat
registry fees that are collected (and kept) by Verisign and the other
registries - an amount that is on the order of a $Billion (yes
"b"illion) each year.

And they say there are no taxes on the internet.  Yeah, right.

	--karl--