[At-Large] Protest at tomorrow's ICANN meeting

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Mar 18 03:38:30 UTC 2011

> For better or worse, the applicant demonstrated sufficient sponsorship to
> ICANN's satisfaction. That FSC demonstrates that THEIR community doesn't buy
> in, doesn't necessarily negate the validity of the claim. Even the existence
> of a supportive sponsoring community does not guarantee success. (see
> ".aero")

As I said, ICANN's process is broken.  In every case, the community that
was allegedly supporting the gTLDs has voted with their feet and stayed
away in droves, so the "support" does not in fact exist.  Look at .AERO
and .TRAVEL and .PRO and .JOBS and .COOP and poor old .MUSEUM.

People hold up .CAT as a success, but Catalonia has about 7 million
people, and .CAT has about 47,000 registrations.  That's about the same
population as Switzerland (about a million domains in .CH) or Hongkong
(about 200,000 in .HK.)

I presume we all know Einstein's quote about doing the same thing over and
over and expecting a different result.

Regards,