[At-Large] Protest at tomorrow's ICANN meeting

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Mar 17 22:47:05 UTC 2011

> I see no reason to believe that .xxx is an assumed commercial success. If
> demand doesn't exist -- if the industry indeed does not want it, then it
> will fail. Then the industry gets what it wants -- a failed TLD -- without
> putting ICANN in the position of making content-related TLD judgments.

Part of the application process for a sTLD is to show that it is supported
by the community it intends to serve.  Looking at the history of every
sTLD, I think we can fairly say that whatever process ICANN used to verify
the alleged support was completely incompetent.

So the right thing to do would be to say, "oh, sorry, you actually never
qualified for an sTLD, here's your money back and an extra million that
you'd otherwise get more expensively by suing us."

Regards,