[At-Large] A workable, gTLDs process, now

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Feb 23 21:44:30 UTC 2011

On point 1, I agree. It's a shame to see these types of interests hogtied by
the wider issues.

On point 2, it does seem that VI should be addressed before a wide rollout,
or 1) it would be too late, and 2) the uncertainty would screw up investment
models.

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Christopher Wilkinson <
cw at christopherwilkinson.eu> wrote:

> Good evening:
>
> As I understand it there will be an important meeting early next week
> in Brussels which may influence what ICANN does with the new gTLD
> process.
> For those of you who will be present, I would recommend the following
> line:
>
> 1.      To disaggregate the process. First, to give priority to the IDN
> applications. Secondly to separate the public interest, linguistic/
> cultural and geographical/city proposals from all the rest.
>        Thirdly to address the <.brand> issues as an entirely distinct
> process where, with WIPO, the related competition and trademark issues
> can be considered; i.e. postpone.
>        Fourth, to address the <.generic> proposals: these may be supported
> provided that they are associated with a rigorous registration policy,
> subject to public consultation. i.e. not to postpone, but they will
> take longer.
>
> 2.      Regarding Vertical Integration, I have seen nothing which would
> lead me to amend the posting which I made last August, and which for
> some reason has not been cited in any of the ICANN Briefing Papers:
>

> http://forum.icann.org/lists/vi-pdp-initial-report/pdfFZQIl7H2Er.pdf
>
>        In short, the attempt last year within GNSO to associate the new
> gTLD
> process with backward integration between Registrars and Registries
> has (a) caused a breakdown in the bottom-up consensus process (b) been
> a cause of further delay and (c) flies in the face of ICANN's mandate
> as the custodian of competition policy in the DNS. No.
>
> I shall post this message to the Lists with which I am associated:      At
> Large, Governance, ISOC.
>
> With regards to you all,
>
> CW

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com