[At-Large] Seizuring a level too deep

Wendy Seltzer wendy at seltzer.com
Wed Feb 16 17:25:41 UTC 2011

On 02/16/2011 12:19 PM, Lutz Donnerhacke wrote:
> http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-government-shuts-down-84000-websites-by-mistake-110216/
>  The domain in question is mooo.com, which belongs to the DNS provider
>  FreeDNS. It is the most popular shared domain at afraid.org and as a result
>  of the authorities’ actions a massive 84,000 subdomains were wrongfully
>  seized as well. All sites were redirected to the banner below.
>
> Next time try to seize the TLD or the root directly.

Shh, don't give them ideas!  I think that's the next step after COICA
(the US domain disablement bill that would give the US government power
to stop domain name resolution at the registry, registrar, or other
service provider, over claims of copyright or trademark infringement).

I actually used some of ICANN's SSAC work in arguments against COICA in
an IEEE column:
<http://wendy.seltzer.org/pubs/COICA-IEEE.pdf>

--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.org +1 914-374-0613
Fellow, Princeton Center for Information Technology Policy