[At-Large] privacy, was Impressions from the Whois-Review

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon Jan 31 23:32:11 UTC 2011

On 01/31/2011 03:12 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
>> There is a completely lawful domain name business model in which there
>> is *no* record made of who acquired a domain name.
>
> Hi.  Before we continue, could you say whether the people who are
> bombarded with phishes and drug spam have any privacy rights, or are they
> reserved for people who've bought vanity domains?

They have rights.  They have the right to and to go to their
legislators, get laws enacted, and get those laws enforced - all under
constitutional procedures and constraints.

ICANN is not a government; it is subject to no due process constraints
nor is it constrained by any real political political process.

I hate spam too - in fact I've argued for draconian measures -
http://www.cavebear.com/cbblog-archives/000236.html

But I hate vigilante action even more.

	--karl--