[At-Large] Impressions from the Whois-Review

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Jan 31 21:53:42 UTC 2011

On 31 Jan 2011, at 15:56, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> It's only become that way because privacy advocates want
> to obfuscate domain ownership (using proxies, etc) in such a way that would
> require intervention through law-enforcement methods (ie, court orders).

I would not call that obfuscation.  I would call it protecting our rights.
And why shouldn't due process be required?

What I term Law and Order is when people want to skip the due process step and take the law into their own hands.

By law in many countries, my telephone number and address are private and there is no way i can be forced to tell them to the world as a private individual unless the court agrees that there is a good reason.

I am thankful for proxies that allow me to tell the truth on my registrations and keep the bad guys away from my door and stop them from calling me at dinner time.  And as a user, I will grateful when I know that if I need to find a registrant who is abusing me, I will be able to work through the proxy and the courts to have that dealt with.

The key is to make sure that registrants give accurate info and that proxy operators and registrars respond to lawful due process.  And yes, the tools and policy need to fixed to make this possible.  But as long as the those who insist that everyone hang out on the network with all of their private information exposed, it is my guess that this will never happen.

a.