[At-Large] 9th Circuit Court ruling on ICANN Contract.

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Jan 11 22:48:43 UTC 2011

Hi,

I tend to see it as a freedom of speech/expression of argument, so am sorry, but will not stop phrasing it as such.

It is not for ICANN, you, me or j-random government out there to tell people what forms of speech and expression they may use and may not use.  In many places it is difficult to find a platform that  will not turn you into the police for expressing opinions that are contra the government.  Being able to register one's own 2nd level name, and to do so in a country that that is not your own (i.e. a country where due process is respected and meaningful, as opposed to being a farce as it is in so many places) and to keep from having personal details published where a tortuous government can find them, may be the best if not only way for some to have freedom of speech.

Looking at it another way, saying that there is Blog therefore you don't need second level names is almost as if we were saying people don't have a right to publish political essays outside their own country, because the have the right to send letters to their local newspaper.

If individuals anywhere are allowed to have 2nd level names, then individuals everywhere have that right  as well, and  have the right to have their private details protected by due process of a law that lives up to the requirements in the treaties and covenants such as those referred to as the International Bill of Rights (IBR e.g. UDHR, ICCPR).

a.