[At-Large] 9th Circuit Court ruling on ICANN Contract.

Derek Smythe derek at aa419.org
Sun Jan 9 22:49:46 UTC 2011

Karl, you have probably heard the expression "junk in junk out".

>> The argument you are making is one that essentially says "because there
>> is a danger that some actors might use their free speech rights to do
>> things that I do not like that, therefore, we must remove the 'free'
>> from 'free speech'."

It's not a case  of "because there
 >> is a danger", it is happening right now. Read the news.

Better yet, If you are to truly represent ALL user interests, I
suggest you reach out to the relevant law enforcement officials in
your area and have a long conversation with them. Ask specifically
what role domain names play in internet abuse.

You have this idea that good people should now pay good money for
fictitious data? Why should I pay good money for data that does not
even exist?

Let us do a quick reality check:
http://www.mediaon.com/Real-Whois-Protection
> We never ask for any personal details except an email address (which can be created anonymously like www.SecMail.in). Accounts are setup using usernames that are randomly generated. There will be no whois information if someone does a search on your domain name. We will not even show anyone the email address you signed up with. We accept a number of easy payment providers including accepting cash by post which gives you 100% anonymity.

You may also wish to read up on how they set up their domain contacts.

Incidentally, the German authorities have numerous victims to users of
this provider's practices (selling non existent goods on fake
shopfronts). This group use their own in house registrar. Their
"allowed or denied" page has changed drastically in the past year, but
not due to legal intervention. This is just one such example of many.

Let us take this one step further, a proxy provider with an incomplete
address, which was at first totally invalid, later changed to an
address does not check out and the provider is unknown at the address.
Now the proxy themselves use another proxy for their own domain.

If you wish to obtain fake identification documents or stolen credit
card details complete with names, social security numbers,  addresses
etc, this same provider mentioned has just the clientele you wish to
support if you require either.

As for law enforcement, yes, I was the one that mentioned them.

For a minute, remember the world does not end on US shores, we are now
talking world wide. While some law enforcement authorities do talk to
one another, this is by no means globally. In fact as you may or may
not have heard, the internet is even used in cyber wars between countries.
http://www.scmagazineus.com/russia-confirms-involvement-with-estonia-ddos-attacks/article/128737/

Do you think that Estonia and Russian authorities will exchange data
under such circumstances?

You also need to consider local laws, not necessarily mine or yours,
that does not reflect the realities of what is now possible on the
internet.

There is a lot that would be good for the average internet user,
however that has to start with a credible whois system with real and
not fictitious data - as John hinted at.
> On the other hand, if you're proposing that people have to appear in
> person to a government official and verify their identity before they can
> register a domain, that's not a bad idea.

The days when there was trust on the net is long gone and the
proportion of bad actors is growing, that small minority making it bad
for all.

The domain industry has a choice, either self regulation or government
regulation - and we all know how things go then. We have already cried
foul on this same mailing group when government involvement has happened.

Why did the USA change the rules for .us domains?

I believe if it was not for non-governmental groups, many self funded
(not the governments, not the domain industry, in fact out of
individual pockets), we would have already crossed that point where we
would be deprived of what you consider a right.

Derek