[At-Large] 9th Circuit Court ruling on ICANN Contract.

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun Jan 9 20:30:35 UTC 2011

On 01/09/2011 10:37 AM, John R. Levine wrote:
> Sigh.  In what fantasy world do you imagine that there is a process to
> implement this?

It could be done with an automated system that requires a credit card
for posting the bond and a couple of web forms to collect the
information from the person making the inquiry - and it would need
something behind that form to do a mild analysis of the input to try to
weed out nonsense input.

This kind of system could easily be tiered so that big-time
investigators could have a way to cover a lot of domains at one time -
for instance intellectual property protection firms could have a
pre-established inquiry account, be pre-identified, and a blanket bond.

If those who are penetrating people's privacy are allowed are excused on
the grounds that "it is just too troublesome" then I don't have much
concern if domain name registrants similarly find it just too
troublesome to make up registration information or hid it behind layers
of impenetrable corporate structures.

> On the other hand, if you're proposing that people have to appear in
> person to a government official and verify their identity before they can
> register a domain, that's not a bad idea.

It's kind of moving that way isn't it?

I find it too bad that that kind of requirement is not required here in
the US for things, such as weapons, that have rather more lethal
potential than a domain name.

		--karl--