[At-Large] 9th Circuit Court ruling on ICANN Contract.

Bill Silverstein icann-list at sorehands.com
Wed Dec 22 20:03:30 UTC 2010

> Hi,
>
> I said a request brought after due process; i.e. a court order.
Which Court?

Lets say that you live in Atlanta Georgia. You register your domain name
name with TuCows, and use their privacy service.  You use my trademark or
send me illegal spam.

In the Balsam case, it is on the record that TuCows will agree to respond
to a foreign (not in their jurisdiction) subpoena, but does not.

Here are the options.

1. I file suit against you Los Angeles, where the harm is felt, Calder v.
Jones, Pannavision v. Toppen, etc. TuCows does not respond. To get them to
respond, I have to file suit in Canada.

2. I file suit in Canada, and find out it is you, then:
   1. Continue in Canada, but it gets kicked because there is no
jurisdiction over the parties.
   2. File in Los Angeles.
   3. File in Atlanta, where you are located.

> And if they do blow off a court order, I am sure there are consequences.

Yes, after I spent money filing suit in Canada, TuCows will get their
wrist slapped.

That is what Balsam tried to do, but imputing liability under section
3.7.7.3, but the court denied it.