[At-Large] On the exchange of notes between Peter and Heather -- city names

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Thu Dec 2 13:10:23 UTC 2010

Dear At-Large Colleagues,

I've prepared a personal comment, reflecting my thoughts on the issue
of city names, and sent it to Board Chair Peter Dengate-Thrush and GAC
Interim Chair Heather Dryden. It is attached.

As a reminder, the public comments period for the current version of
the DAG closes on December 10th, at 7am Eastern, 4am Pacific, just
before the Friday Board meeting that week.

I regret that the letter is only in English, as the intended
recipients are both Anglophones, however the issue concerns those who
anticipate that urban administrations will in the near future have the
resources allocated by ICANN which are currently allocated only to
states, some non-states, and a score of for-profit and non-profit
corporations and foundations.

Attached is also a reformatted version of Thomas Brinkoff's list of
479 urban agglomerations with populations of one million or more. The
original may be found at http://www.citypopulation.de

This note was originally sent to the NA-Discuss list, with only the
first of two attachments, due to the familiarity NA-Discuss list
members have with the urban agglomerations of that region.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Ithaca, New York