[At-Large] [ALAC] TR: ANNOUNCEMENT : Results from Round 2 voting for At-Large selected Board Member for seat #15 of ICANN Board

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Dec 1 12:51:14 UTC 2010

On 30 November 2010 18:08, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:

> Availability is not the only issue. If Sebastien participates to too
> great an extent on a particular issue, he may be seen to be in a
> conflict position and would have to recuse himself if that issue
> comes to the Board for discussion or decision.

Are you really saying that great interest in an issue, and a deep desire to
understand the public attitude towards that issue (but without any financial
or organisational ties) constitutes a conflict of interest?

PLEASE tell me where to find that in the bylaws. I can't think of a more
fundamental A&T issue.

I've always considered CoI to mean financial interest or, if defined more
broadly, attachment to an organization that has a financial or regulatory
relationship with ICANN. Until ICANN decides that it needs to regulate the
public, I can't think of any kind of public consultation -- even a very
high-profile one -- that would be considered a CoI. If ICANN defines CoI
that way, it is REALLY out of touch and deliberately unaccountable in a way
that is unacceptable.

- Evan