[At-Large] TR: ANNOUNCEMENT : Results from Round 2 voting for At-Large selected Board Member for seat #15 of ICANN Board

Sébastien Bachollet sebastien at bachollet.com
Tue Nov 30 21:53:50 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,
http://sebastien.bachollet.fr/
All the best

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to thank all of you, again, for your efforts in conducting the
At-Large selected ICANN Board Member election and I would like to thank all
those who participated in this voting round.

 Those elections were an excellent opportunity to communicate on issues that
are important to all of us and to allow an unprecedented involvement of the
ALS leaders, RALO boards and ALAC members.

As Alan said: “It was a good and interesting race”.

Both Pierre and Alan were very good contestants and I thank them very much
for their participation and their constructive campaign style. It has shown
a healthy At-Large community.

I will do my best to be the voice of the diverse but important At-Large
community and serve ICANN and the Internet end-users.

As you all know, I generally take the view that elected officers should not
be serving multiple mandates at the same time. As a result of this election,
I would end up with two mandates after the Cartagena meeting, one being that
of ALAC member and the other that of an ICANN Board member (seat #15). I
fully concur with the view expressed by Nomcom on this subject. I will
therefore step down from the ALAC position (at the end of the Cartagena
meeting) and thus avoid a dual mandate. I believe that this is in the best
interest of ALAC and the ICANN community. I consulted various colleagues on
this subject and found that there was consensus in this respect.

There are, however, important things to consider in this respect. There is
no point in avoiding one dual mandate situation just to end up with another
dual mandate situation. As a community, we should make sure that dual
mandates are avoided whenever possible. And we should always try to have
more people involved.  This is a way to get new brains to look at  the
issues we deal with and to better share the demanding workload.

That brings us to the new issues to deal with: there is no longer a liaison
between the ICANN Board and the ALAC. I regard it of course as my duty to be
available whenever invited to participate in At-Large processes and thus
continue the work done by the ALAC liaison to the board. We could try to
formalize this.

I am confident that we will be able to find an effective way to keep a close
connection between the Board and the ALSes/RALOs/ALAC work.

Sébastien Bachollet
30/11/2010

Sébastien Bachollet
sebastien at bachollet.com